Monday, June 3, 2024

Embracing Change: My Journey from Teaching to Clinical Research and Back Again



Sometimes, life takes us on a journey we never could have predicted. For thirteen years, I taught English as a Second Language (ESL) around the world. I thought my teaching career was behind me when I decided to pursue my passion for science. Five years into my clinical research career, however, I find myself at a crossroads once again.

In 2020, I obtained a PARA license in Illinois, which, combined with my Bachelor's degree, qualifies me to be a full-time substitute teacher. As summer approaches, I'm uncertain if I'll secure a teaching role before it ends, but one thing is clear: my days in clinical research are numbered. I am caught in an internal struggle, debating whether to leave this profession and start my own business or return to teaching.

My disillusionment with healthcare has been growing. I've witnessed firsthand the inequalities and the relentless pursuit of the bottom line that can overshadow the true purpose of healthcare. As an employee, these experiences have been disheartening. It's taken me a long time to come to terms with letting go of my dream of being a scientist. Despite this, I am proud of what I have achieved and the experiences I've had along the way.

The idea of change is daunting but also exhilarating. Reflecting on my journey, I realize how important it is to follow one's own path, even when it leads to unexpected places. My hope is that by sharing my story, I can inspire others to find the motivation to pursue their passions, no matter where they may lead.

I am excited about the possibility of returning to teaching and helping shape young minds. At the same time, the thought of starting my own business brings a sense of adventure and new beginnings. Life is a journey filled with twists and turns, and while the destination may be uncertain, the experiences and growth along the way are what truly matter.

In closing, I encourage anyone facing a similar crossroads to listen to your heart. Embrace change and trust that each step you take is part of your unique journey. Remember, it's never too late to follow your dreams and find fulfillment in new and unexpected ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment